I will walk off the pitch if i racially
abused again in my career. Manchester United striker Odion Ighalo said it and revealing he
was called “all sorts of names” by an opposition
player in China.
The 30-year-old, who has called for “justice to be
done” following George Floyd’s death in US
police custody, now says he would be ready to
take further action should he be subjected to
racist abuse on the football pitch.
“If it happens to me I would report it to the referee and see what they do, but if they don’t take action about it then I’m going to walk off because it should not be done to any player or anyone in the world,” he told Sky Sports News.
He said he had been abused by an opposition
player in China and he reported the abuse to the Chinese FA but
after no action was taken he decided to “let it
go.” “I didn’t press forward with it, I just let it go
because I’m just this kind of guy.
I don’t like to
drag issues out.
But I don’t think it should be
condoned in any country.”
On Monday, Liverpool became the first Premier League side to take a knee in support of the Black Lives Matter movement.
England and Aston Villa defender Tyrone Mings joined protests in Birmingham on
Thursday so It has sparked tributes and messages of defiance across the sporting world.
Ighalo said we are all the same, we live in the same
world, the same life. Despite the colour of our
skin, so “Nobody should condone racism,” “It didn’t start today, it’s not going to end today.
It’s going to take time. We are hoping this
situation can change the narrative and make it more limited. It’s going to reduce it to a minimum. “We have to start from the younger generation,
educate them, let them see that all humans are
the same. We should fight for humanity not
colours. “I don’t condone racism, but at the same time, I
don’t condone riots, Ighalo said.